Linksys E2500-4B DD-WRT Not Supported

TzzSpaceFighter

Linksys E2500-4B DD-WRT Not Supported

Post by TzzSpaceFighter »

Linksys E2500-4B DD-WRT Not Supported.

I like to use dd-wrt firmware on my routers. And usually I just go to the thrift store and buy a Linksys wrt54g router for about $6. But the thrift stores are closed due to the covid thing going on. So I decide to order a Linksys router from ebay. I could order a wrt54g router for about $15. But I spotted a Linksys E2500-4B for a few dollars more. I did a little research on support devices for dd-wrt. And E2500 V1 and v2 is supported, there is also some kind of thing for v3. So I order this E2500-4B wondering what version it is. I get the package, and find out that -4B part in the title is v4. My thoughts "ohhhhh".

Linksys E2500-4B is not dd-wrt supported. I researched some forums and it is because v4 doesn't have Broadcom chipset. It has MediaTek chipset. Router specs from http://en.techinfodepot.shoutwiki.com/w ... s_E2500_v4

I wanted to use the Linksys E2500-4B as a wireless repeater but not able to do that. Can't install dd-wrt. And the stock Linksys firmware doesn't have wireless repeater mode from what I see in the GUI. It does have Wireless bridge mode, and what that does is connect the E2500-4B to a wifi as a client and then bridges that connection to the ethernet ports. It doesn't repeat the wireless or even broadcast an AP in Wireless Bridge mode.

If you do connect as a wireless bridge. Some tips of finding your router again on the network is I had used Angry IP Scanner for windows to scan the network. And found the Linksys E2500-4B IP address to be 10.0.0.246. I could have logged into the other router but I didn't have the password on hand (probably default).